Thursday, February 23, 2012

Wanderlust

I have to say that I have no desire to see the movie Wanderlust starring Jennifer Aniston and Paul Rudd, however I was very taken by this article at cultureby.com.

The old career path was simple.


Fix on the objective. Commit body and soul. Keep your eyes on the prize. Stay at it.


No experimenting with other options. No idle curiosity. No putzing around. In sum, no career wanderlust.


Make a choice. Stick with it.

It is no surprise that this article stuck with me. I'm in the midst of a (rather difficult) career transition, from legal executive to (hopefully) policy advisor working with ethnic minorities. Yes, I had a good career, yes, I could have stuck with it. But was it fulfilling? Did it make me happy? Did I want to do it for the rest of my life? No way. It took me a long time to figure out what I really wanted. And it will take me a long time to get exactly where I want to be. In the meantime I am checking out my options, learning as much as I can, and moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment